ASHEVILLE, N.C. — Judge Marvin Pope, Jr. ordered that all pre-trial motions that were scheduled for July 17, 2017 be rescheduled to July 28, 2017. On the court calendar for Sept. 11, 2017 with Pope presiding is the State of N.C. versus Adam Bartley. Bartley is one of the five defendants of then Word of Faith Fellowship members who allegedly assaulted Matthew Fenner and held him against his will.
Among the motions to be heard are:
- possible motion for a continuance
- motion to produce recordings and devices made by Fenner
- defense attorney David Teddy’s motion for change of venue
Defense attorney for Bartley, Robert Denton, stated he may join with David Teddy’s motions (Teddy is the defense attorney for defendant Brooke Covington) but will not move to join his client.
These cases will be heard in the fifth floor courtroom of the Superior Court at 9:30 a.m. Pope issued the order on July 11, 2017 and it was filed in the RC courthouse on Friday, July 14, 2017.
Judge Gary Gavenus who issued the initial gag order has asked for copies of the following motions with a deadline of materials of August 1, 2017:
- removal of the gag order in its totality
- removal of the gag order on jurors for interviews by law enforcement
Gavenus will enter an order on each of the pending motions.