You say you want to celebrate a revolution?
For over 40 years the same discussions have been ongoing in Rutherford County:
- a need to shift from the textile mentality that the management would take care of us
- there is no need for education since there are jobs in the mills
- the government is looking after our interests
- the tourist industry is built around Lake Lure and Chimney Rock Park
- there is no need for arts and cultural activities, we only need jobs
- this is a Christian nation/community
- all people are created equal
- the charities should be able to take care of the poor
- talking about problems is the same as doing something about it
Our country was founded on FREEDOM – a concept that created war, dissent, and division. Our forbears fought for religious freedom, freedom from taxation without representation, the right to bear arms, and the protection of free speech. While the United States of America is far from perfect, there is one freedom you can easily put into action. Exercise your voice. Take a stand. Put it into action. Make a difference.
We are not sheep to be led to the slaughter because of our own ability to make changes. The 1960′s introduced a radical movement led by the youth to change the world. These same hippies are now part of the establishment that created a youth culture of entitlement. We have more information available through our cell phones now than most of us gained through an entire education. Information does not mean wisdom to use it however.
The youth in our community leave seeking jobs, entertainment, and exposure to a different way of being. Yet many come home to their roots. What do we have to offer them? Can we embrace change or are we stuck in the good ole boy networks, textile mill mentalities and corrupt government? Are the education facilities simply looking for bodies to make their numbers to ensure they stay in business or are they providing real life skills, promoting tolerance and diversity, and providing cultural events for the community?
When is ENOUGH, enough? When are you willing to be a part of the solution instead of the rehashing of the problems? Perhaps it is time to celebrate independence day by taking a stand.