Hospice Resale store makes changes

The local Hospice Resale Store has a new district manager for this area based out of Landrum, S.C. Customers last week were taken by surprise by some of the changes. Staff  were packing and loading boxes of out-of-season clothing onto a truck. Out-of-season clothing was kept in the back of the store and sold for a quarter.

According to staff there, all stores under the district manager’s supervision will no longer have 25¢ out-of-season clothing bins. There will be no more monthly 1/2 off sales, no more buy 1, get 1 half off sales on Tuesdays and no more weekly silent auctions. Additionally, prices on clothing will increase – instead of paying $3 for a dress, the price is now $5.

Many regular customers and donors are upset with the change feeling that RC has quite a different clientele than the more prosperous Landrum area. Since the items sold at Hospice have been donated either by individuals or businesses, the donors are looking closely at the Hospice retail stores’ motive: is it for profit or providing clothing needs. Some RC customers can only afford those 25¢ bin shopping.

Neither the retail store or district manager returned our request for comment.

35 Responses to Hospice Resale store makes changes

1. Jean Pinkston 05/13/2017 at 6:06 pm

This has definitely affected my decision whether or not to ship there anymore. Be taking my business elsewhere

2. Cc 05/13/2017 at 6:07 pm

Why, when people are struggling, would you increase the prices to the public considering you are receiving all these donations? I say give to the Salvation Army known as the best nonprofit.

3. Jean Pinkston 05/13/2017 at 6:09 pm

I mean SHOP there

4. Jean Pinkston 05/13/2017 at 6:10 pm

I will not SHOP there anymore

5. Shemay Ledbetter 05/13/2017 at 6:17 pm

I won’t be no longer shoppping their.

6. Dh 05/13/2017 at 6:59 pm

Shop at Chase Corner ministries. We would love to have you.

7. Debbie Flynn 05/13/2017 at 7:01 pm

Will not say who, but I personally know a family member who worked there and was said the books are way off showing the store doesn’t make money? The parking lot is always FULL??? Also had a few people that volunteered info that worked there that they were allowed to set aside things they wanted until .25 or half off day etc! Maybe that has some to do with the lack of funds on books??

8. del 05/13/2017 at 7:08 pm

do not donated there any more take a stand what the hell r thay thinking greed has takeing over we all need 2stand 2gether on this

9. Linda Greene 05/13/2017 at 7:39 pm

I have been to the one in Landrum and the prices are crazy the i haven’t been to the one in Forest city in a while because I work all the time now but you have regular customers that come there all the time some everyday most know each other by name but the reason most people shop there is because of the prices being low and the weekly and monthly sale so you can bet the sales will drop for sure and the donation probably will too

10. DC 05/13/2017 at 8:45 pm

Shop at Chase Corner Ministries. They would love to have the business. Lots of sales!

11. Tracy T Tesseneer 05/13/2017 at 9:11 pm

This is CRAZY! Rutherord County is the 2nd poorest county in the state! There is people in this county that can only afford clothing from the $.25 bin! I enjoy going on the 1/2 off sales days myself! I have donated and bought a lot of stuff from this store over the years, but if prices are going up and these sales are stopping, I won’t shop there anymore!

12. Karen Parker 05/13/2017 at 10:29 pm

Shop at Brother Wolf’s Second Chances Thrift Store. All the money goes back to the animals we rescue in Rutherford County. Located one mile passed RS Central High school on the right headed towards Gilkey.

13. JA 05/13/2017 at 10:47 pm

I know someone who volunteered there and those ladies that volunteered went thru everything that came in and put back items to buy on sale days. This lady got new lamps that Grindstaffs donated, washers, and extremely nice clothes for her whole family. This has gone on for years. They were getting the nicest things donated and the public never had a chance to buy nice things. I say it’s time for a change. This is why u only saw junk there.

14. Sheila holland 05/13/2017 at 11:19 pm

I guess alot of people will be going else where !!!!!

15. Teresa Lovelace 05/13/2017 at 11:20 pm

I am very disappointed. I will keep my opinion to myself, I love this store and i cant believe they are taking away the half price sale. Are these people forgetting that this is donated stuff? SMH! Somebody always has to ruin a good thing! Rutherford County cant even have a thrift store without politics getting involved.

16. Teresa Lovelace 05/13/2017 at 11:22 pm

Oh id like to know this What kind of salary is this new manager making?

17. JB 05/13/2017 at 11:35 pm

I have volunteered at Hospice for four years. I enjoy helping other people who can’t afford to buy things they need. While working foir the RCS system buying clothes for needy children was a way I could help Hospice and provide for the children. The prices were cheap then. On Monday things will begin to change. It is not the fau!t of the manager or the assistant manager so fussing at them will do no good. As a volunteer it hurts me to read that we may be the cause of the changes in prices. Believe me, we work hard and we are not the cause. We should have a right to purchase things. I volunteer at least 20+ hours a week. If I were getting paid that would equal to at least $200.00 a week. Believe me I am not leaving Hospice with two hundred dollars worth of merchandise. We pay the same prices as the customers. If you really want to see what goes on , volunteer.We can certainly use the help.

18. Cc chase corner community ministries 05/13/2017 at 11:43 pm

Chase Corner Minstries gives away free clothing to families in need and we often have sales…like our $2 bag sale coming in June..watch local papers and our Facebook page entitled Chase Corner Community Ministries for daily ministries and our sales are announced there as well. Proceeds go back into helping communtiy w free food, clothing, and other crisis needs.

19. connie l Larsen 05/13/2017 at 11:58 pm

I live in Salt Lake City Ut. & a very dear friend of mine owns Great Finds out there, a few weeks ago she had a set of vintage lamps for $35 for BOTH of them & I asked her why they were marked so low, her response was, the area is repressed… Support Great Finds i know they will treat you right, They are the most trust worthy people I know!

20. Amy Nolen 05/14/2017 at 12:05 am

Well it doesn’t sound like they want to make any money at all. Some people can only afford things when they can get them on half price days. There are so many people in this county that are on a very strict budget! They have so much clothes and shoes that the only way to actually get rid of the old stuff for the new donations are the half price days. Seriously $5 for a used dress??? Are you trying to close the doors?

21. Dawn Wilson 05/14/2017 at 1:30 am

Them being greedy will be the reason they will go out of business.

22. Dawn Wilson 05/14/2017 at 1:31 am

Grred will cost you a business and lots of loyal customers

23. Kathy Nance 05/14/2017 at 6:58 am

I, too, am sorry to see these changes.

I have been to the Landrum Hospice store and it is very big and nice but much more expensive, and I rarely end up buying anything there.

I shopped at our local Hospice store regularly to take clothing to Guatemala, and I often met people who were shopping for clothing for people in poor Appalachia or other “needy” projects. The only way we could afford to do this was to shop the quarter bin and on half price days.

I will be shopping now at half price days at Yolkfellow, which, like Hospice, is a really good charity.

24. Toni 05/14/2017 at 12:13 pm

This is a shame I loved going there but I will be finding somewhere else I will not pay full price for used clothing or items

25. Sheila 05/14/2017 at 12:58 pm

No, no, no, to increase prices !!! Come on citizens, let’s stand our ground and not let this happen. Don’t know the first thing about picketing, but I certainly would participate. Does anyone know the in and outs ?

26. Myra Thompson 05/14/2017 at 2:17 pm

Will not be shopping there any more.

27. Jerry Hill 05/14/2017 at 2:35 pm

Let um have it. Not much value other than books
    Take.your buisness elsewhere
    I won’t donate again. Greed everywhere in what once a great country

28. Jerry Hill 05/14/2017 at 2:40 pm

Let um have it. Not much of a store except the books. Remember where you live. Look around. Too bad for the poor people.Greed everywhere in what was once a great country.

29. Holly Hughes 05/14/2017 at 4:08 pm

I hate to hear the store is making itself less acsessable to the community. My suggestion is to make use of Yokefellow, Washburn Outreach Center (they will literally give clothes away for free!) or one of the many others mentioned.

30. Crazeejy 05/14/2017 at 6:31 pm

My family shops there multiple times a week. We won’t now. This lady is greedy. Making stupid choices. I don’t donate to make ppl rich. We donate so our stuff can be sold affordably to those in need. Ppl are barely feeding their families. Quarter bin allowed less stress on clothing our families. I hope she gets a taste of her own medicine. Fire her!! She does awful job managing the existing stores and let’s face it…some stuff isn’t worth 3and5 dollars. I c a n buy brand new at Wal-Mart for that

31. Karen 05/14/2017 at 8:00 pm

I donated several boxes to Hospice in Landrum when I worked in Landrum. I never saw one of the items in their store. What happened to them? Thrown away?

32. Amanda McCorkle 05/15/2017 at 11:53 am

I think many people would prefer the place shut its doors than raise the price a little and operate in the black. If there are so many other wonderful options, why are their so many complaints?

Let the market set the price. If people do not want to pay $5 for a dress, it will sit on the rack. Stuff cannot be given away. So what if you come in there and buy 20 items for a quarter each. How is that paying the bill? It has to return a profit.

33. D. Murray 05/15/2017 at 1:01 pm

I would like to see a copy of their “books”. If the money goes to support patients of Hospice care, then should their books not reflect this? Unless they do have something to hide which is could be why someone else came in and cleaned house.

I feel for the patients who are supposed to benefit from these funds. I used to donate regularly but I just got tired of donating and seeing stuff in the back that was not junk and all they put out when I saw it was junk.

So, let’s pray for the patients of hospice that this will not affect their care.

34. Liz 05/16/2017 at 5:19 pm

AM-If stuff can’t be given away, what happened to all the $.25 items that were packed up? I used to go the Hospice Barn in Landrum, but the prices went up and the staff started acting like it was an imposition for me to be there. The market will set the price, but not before Hospice is hurt. Obviously, the powers that be are aware of the changes and the public’s feelings about those changes. There are plenty of thrift stores in RC that benefit many good causes. And during the warm months, there are lots of yard sales.

35. Lee 05/18/2017 at 7:59 am

It might be different if when you walked in it didn’t wreak of mold and mildew like it’s been in a closet for years,all this stuff is free example go to charlotte at community thrift when you walk in its like any other store prices are a little higher but everything’s clean,don’t have the musky smell and we’ll organized like a small dept store, with really nice clean and resonaby priced items, anyway send them back to landrum,some of the items aren’t worth a quarter.