Baby is put back in the corner

Dirty Dancing Mini-Series on hold

A planned miniseries of 1987’s “Dirty Dancing” set to shoot in the Western part of the state has been put on indefinite hold. The Lionsgate production company has released the $4 million state film grant incentive approved for 2015. Lionsgate has seen multiple delays and despite a 100-day extension for production has released its commitment.

Applications for the newly available funds will now be accepted through Aug. 7.

Johnny Griffin, director of the Wilmington Regional Film Commission, said his office will reconnect with production companies that have previously expressed interest in filming in North Carolina.

“We are now contacting clients that we have been talking to recently … calling them back and letting them know that things have changed and we do have funds available,” he said. “We are also making contact with production companies that may have projects they haven’t shared with us yet.”

dirty_dancing_ver2The state grant program had a limited $10 million in funding when it was launched in January, replacing the previous 25-percent refundable tax credit program.

In addition to “Dirty Dancing,” CBS’ locally filmed “Under the Dome” was approved for $5 million and a basketball drama titled “Late in the Season” is set to receive $1 million.

The N.C. General Assembly is currently deliberating on whether any additional funding will be applied to the grant program for the 2015-16 fiscal year, which started July 1.

Source: asheville citizen times, nc film dept.